Request to quick start tutorial to execute the Candescent NUI with the VS 2010

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Hi 

Its a kind request to give a quick start up guide to execute the basic candescent.nui.samples 

am trying very hard to break through it all.

Am working with the following environment,

Windows 7 

Kinect - XBOX360

Kinect 1.6

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Regards

Ganapathy 

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Hi

I have managed to execute the app in my system and am now trying to get to know about the feature that are available in each of the project and also found few issues in my system that i would like to get clarified,

1) I found some where in the discussions that is suggested to install both the Kinect SDK and openNI but in the blog page http://blog.candescent.ch/2011/08/candescent-nui-9237.html its sugested to uninstall the standard kinect and install the open . which should I follow

2) the apps cc.nui.samples and wpf samples works for me with the Kinect SDK and my config is like 

My environment:
Win7 64-bit , OpenNI 2.0.0 Build 29 December 6 2012(installed) 64bit , Kinect SDK(installed)

Hardware that I use is Kinect for XBOX 360

And for the option openNI in the apps,I always get the error "Unable to load DLL 'OpenNI64': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)"

help me resolve

-Ganapathy

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hi Ganapathy

Good to hear you've got it running.

1. I don't know if OpenNI and Kinect SDK will run when installed in parallel, I've never tried. Maybe it works with the new OpenNI which also supports Kinect directly (without the modified driver). With the Kinect for Xbox hardware I'd use OpenNI (no near mode with Kinect SDK).

2. I haven't upgraded Candescent NUI to OpenNI 2 yet, you could try to replace the OpenNI Dll in the Lib folder yourself.
I'll try updating it sometime soon.

- Stefan

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Hi,

I am still struggling to make the samples to work with openNI.Am always getting the error  "Unable to load DLL 'OpenNI64': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)" and when I tried to add it to the references it gives me a warning message " A reference to 'C:\Users\...\OpenNI64.dll' could not be added.Please make sure that the file is asscessible, and that it is a valid assembly or COM component."

Could you please help me with this?

-Ganapathy

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM

And one other query is do the samples works with ASUS Primesense sensor? 

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Hi Ganapathy

My guess is still that you're using a newer version of OpenNI. Candescent NUI uses OpenNI (1.5.2.23) for the moment.

I haven't had time to upgrade yet.

It works with ASUS Xtion Pro when you use OpenNI.

- Stefan

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Hi Stefan,

I wonder if you could send me the OpenNI(1.5.2.23) SDK, I can't find it online, and Candescent won't cooperate with the newer drivers.

I am btw using your Candescent code for my bachelorproject and would very much appreciate any help you could give me along the way.

-Paul
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Hi Paul

I'll see if I can update to the new version, that's better than trying to find the old SDK.

Stefan
Mar 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Hi Stefan,

My old back up got crashed somehow and am trying to resetup again, but am getting an error missing reference for "Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting " in the test project.Can you help me to resolve this.

Regards,
Ganapathy
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Hi Ganapathy

Just remove the test project. You won't need it.

Stefan
Mar 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Candescent wrote:
Hi Paul

I'll see if I can update to the new version, that's better than trying to find the old SDK.

Stefan
That would be much appreciated Stefan, thank you.

Paul
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I've had a look at the OpenNI 2 Beta. It looks like it needs Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.6 to use it with the Kinect.

So.. if you have a Kinect for Xbox, I guess it won't receive the depth values below 800mm (haven't tried yet). It's kind of pointless, you can just use Candescent NUI with the Kinect SDK alone.

OpenNI 2 doesn't even have an official .NET wrapper yet, or at least I couldn't find it. There's this, but I haven't tried it yet:
http://www.openni.org/files/niwrapper-net/

The old OpenNI source code is still here: https://github.com/OpenNI/OpenNI
But I couldn't find the binaries.
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I'll look into the NiWrapper and if that doesn't helpme out I'll use the Kinect SDK.

Thanks for the help, I'll give you feedback on progress.

Paul
Mar 15, 2014 at 3:19 AM
hey
am using candescent nui samples for my graduation project, am trying to use the hand detection module and create a sign language translator by recognizing the hand gestures. Is it possible to eliminate the open ni modules from the candescent nui? because i want to work with only kinect for windows and also keep the code short. please if anybody has the candescent nui code only for windows , please share it with me.
thanks.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Hi

You can delete the folder OpenNI in the core project and remove the reference to the OpenNI Dll.

You'll have to remove some references from the samples projects, too. But the compiler will tell you what you'll have to change.
  • Stefan
Mar 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Hi Stefan -

I'm also trying to use Candescent on a Win7 64 bit machine with OpenNI and am getting the same error as ganapathy - "Unable to load DLL 'OpenNI64': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)".

Any progress on either finding the OpenNI(1.5.2.23) SDK binaries or updating Candescent to OpenNI2?

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Hi mosesr

As far as I know OpenNI2 uses the Kinect SDK to get data from the Kinect. So there's not much reason to stick to OpenNI if you have a Kinect and not one of the other devices. Plus, it looks like OpenNI will shut down if nobody will continue it:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/14/03/02/1530202/apple-closes-openni-the-open-source-kinect-framework?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

Stefan
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Hi Stefan -

I have no special reason to use OpenNI. I'd just really like to get Candescent to work in whatever way possible. I've installed the Kinect SDK v1.8 (after uninstalling OpenNI) and when I try to run CCT.NUI.SAMPLES it crashes right after starting up.
The device I'm using is a Primesense Carmine 1.08.
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit with an NVIDIA GTX 460 GPU.

Any advice on how to finally get Candescent working would be greatly appreciated :)
Mar 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM
The Visual Studio debugger gives the following message after the crash:

"An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in CCT.NUI.WPFSamples.exe [944]"

Maybe that helps clarify the problem?
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Hi again

I think the Kinect SDK won't work with a Primesense device.

Did you download the source code or are you trying to run the binaries? These won't work because they are compiled with an older OpenNI and Kinect SDK.

The easiest way (but not the cheapest) would be to get a Kinect for Windows device.

If I find some time this weekend I'll try to update it to the newest OpenNI and Kinect SDK version. But I can't promise anything.
  • Stefan
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM
That would be great thanks :)